What kinds of artwork and maps can I use in my Infinite titles?
Per Paizo’s Announcement in March 2023, AI art, AI writing, or algorithm-based creation is prohibited on the Infinite Platform. Any product posted to Infinite that contains AI-generated art or writing where very little human work was done is subject to removal.
Note: The artwork (such as illustrations or maps) that you include in your title does not become part of the Pathfinder Infinite content that other Pathfinder and Starfinder Infinite contributors can then use.
These are the types of artwork you can use in your Infinite titles:
- Art and Maps Provided by Paizo. The "Resources for Pathfinder Infinite" category contains several art packs that are owned by Paizo and that can be freely used in your Pathfinder Infinite titles. The artwork can be cropped to fit your PDF but may not be altered or changed in other ways.
Additionally, you may use any illustration that would be allowed under Paizo’s Community Use Policy, either by appearing on the Paizo Blog or released into the Community Use Package EXCEPT for logos, fully laid-out PDFs such as pre-generated characters, organized play Chronicle Sheets, or conversion guides, and photographs.
- Public Domain Art. Art that you are certain is in the public domain can be used.
- Stock Art. Usage of stock art depends on the license associated with that stock art. Most of the stock art sold under the "Publisher Resources" category on DriveThruRPG includes a license that would allow it to be used in your Pathfinder Infinite titles.
- Commissioned Art. Usage of art that you commission from an artist depends upon your terms with the artist. You must have the rights or license to use the art in your title. The artwork does not become owned by OneBookShelf or by Paizo; you simply must have rights to use it in your commercial work.
- Creative Commons. Infinite titles can't be shared under CC like such a license might require, so please (Example: No SA Creative Commons licenses)
- Free for Commercial Use Fonts. Make sure that the fonts you are downloading are free for commercial use before putting them into your titles.
Free / Creative Commons / Stock Art / or Just Attribution Websites
- MET Museum National
- Gallery of Art
- Getty Open Content
- Paris Musee Collection
- New York Public Library
- Rijk Museum
- Yale University
- Barnes Foundation
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Collections | Europeana
- The Public Domain Review
Can I duplicate/redraw existing Pathfinder maps from any edition?
Duplicated maps, including maps recreated in different art styles, can only be published on Pathfinder Infinite if they directly support another adventure or supplement within the same product. They cannot be the primary product. If you write an adventure that takes places in a location from an existing Pathfinder adventure, you can include redrawn maps of that location. You cannot publish the redrawn maps as an independent map pack. For example, if your adventure is set in Sandpoint, you can include redrawn maps of the city and nearby locations; however, you cannot publish those redrawn maps as a separate map pack or stock art.
As maps included in other supplements are artwork, they are not exclusive to Pathfinder Infinite, but as they use Paizo IP, you should be aware of the Community Use Policy if using artwork elsewhere.
Can I publish and sell map packs of my own unique locations?
Unique map packs of setting-neutral villages, forests, towers, and other locations that can be used by Game Masters and/or Pathfinder Infinite community creators are allowed. As these maps are artwork, they are not exclusive to Pathfinder Infinite.
Can I publish and sell stock art? What about stock art that uses Paizo intellectual property, such as symbols, monsters, or characters?
Fantasy stock art that can be used by Game Masters or Pathfinder Infinite community creators is allowed. Stock art that is inspired by but does not directly copy Paizo IP also is allowed. For example, you cannot copy and paste a symbol from an existing piece of Pathfinder art, but you can redraw the symbol with slight variations so it is distinguishable from a direct copy. You can redraw characters or monsters in your own style.
As these creations are artwork, they are not exclusive to Pathfinder Infinite. However, for any artwork that uses Paizo IP, you should be aware of the Community Use Policy if using artwork elsewhere.
What are the rules for putting branding (logos, trademarks, etc.) on my Pathfinder Infinite title?
Content creators can create their own branding, but they must follow these guidelines:
- Infinite Logo. The Pathfinder or Starfinder Infinite logo (linked below) must appear on your title’s cover. The Pathfinder and Starfinder Infinite logos can be resized to fit your cover, but may not be altered or changed in other ways. You can find the Pathfinder and Starfinder Infinite logos here:
- Covers. No personal branding images (logos, trademarks, etc.) can be displayed on your product’s cover. However, you can include these images in the product’s interior.
- Personal Branding. Any personal brand, logo, or trademark used within your title must be original to the creator. These branding images cannot violate existing copyright or trademark laws, nor can they be derivations of Paizo branding, such as the Pathfinder logo and the Paizo golem logo.
Best-Seller Metals. If your title earns a best-seller metal, you may display it on your cover. You can read more about earning metals in our FAQ here.
- Charity Logos. If your title donates proceeds to a charity organization, you can include the charity's logo on your cover IF the charity gives you permission to use their artwork.
- Infinite Masters. Infinite Masters members must include the Infinite Masters logo on their titles' covers. Only members of this program may use this logo.
- Roll20 VTT. Titles using the Roll20 VTT Connection should display the Roll20 Virtual Tabletop badge. Below you will find links to a Light and Dark .png of the badge.
- Fantasy Grounds VTT. Logo is allowed to appear on the cover.
- Pathbuilder (not an official Paizo Partner) and Foundry VTT. While Pathbuilder and Foundry VTT logos are not allowed on your cover, you’re welcome to mention them in your description.
What are the rules for using Infinite logos to advertise my titles?
If you are creating graphics or videos to advertise your Pathfinder Infinite titles, you can use your cover image with the required Pathfinder or Starfinder Infinite logo.
You may not use the Pathfinder or Starfinder Infinite logo as a standalone element.